Less than a month after the official release of Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL, Google now delivers a major update with numerous improvements for both smartphones. But the two previous Pixel generations are also improved.
With the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL Google delivers two over the best smartphones again this year. But both devices are by far not faultless. What is very disturbing was the limited performance due to the bad RAM management. But Google is addressing the problem with the delivery of the December 2018 patch.
Google not only improves the RAM management of the current Pixel Phones, but also makes software improvements for Pixel 2 (XL) and the first pixel generation. Here is an overview of the changes:
- Improved RAM management (Pixel 3 / Pixel 2)
- Better performance of the camera app (Pixel 3 / Pixel 2)
- Optimized autofocus of the camera (Pixel 3)
- Optimized camera shutter speed performance (Pixel 3)
- More accurate detection of inactivity display activation (Pixel 3)
- Improved detection of USB-C audio accessories (Pixel 3)
- Adapted volume control for Bluetooth (Pixel 3 / Pixel 2 / Pixel 1)
- Improved display of HDR colors in certain apps (Pixel 3)
- Optimized unlock when using Bluetooth (Pixel 3 / Pixel 2 / Pixel 1)
- Optimized audio performance with Android Auto (Pixel 3)
- Better compatibility with Android Auto (Pixel 3 / Pixel 2)
- Better visibility of notifications in Pixel Stand (Pixel 3)
- More accurate detection of the hotword in Pixel Stand (Pixel 3)
The update will be distributed over-the-air and in waves, so it may take some users some time until the December patch is offered for download. Alternatively, the firmware can be found as usual on the Google servers and can be downloaded from the Developers page.